While attempting to print a label in BarTender, warning message #2401 appears and does not print the label.
BarTender 2019 and later
There are 3 common reasons that the connection to the License Server cannot be established or is lost.
License Is Not Shared/Broadcast Over the Network
There are some instances where during activation, the option to Share License over Network check box is either unchecked or the user does not have permission to administer the license to apply that setting.
- This setting can be changed from Administration Console > Licensing Setup.
- Expand Server name > Current license > License Partitions > User Access Control setting.
- Change settings to Allow Everyone From Everywhere.
Licensing Service Is Not Running
When Startup Type for the BarTender Licensing Service is set to Automatic, there are instances where the service will not start up correctly or will timeout after a reboot. Changing the Startup Type to Automatic (Delayed Start) in Windows Services helps to prevent this from happening.
- Open the Services utility in Windows
- Right click on the BarTender Licensing Service and go to Properties
- Change the Startup Type to Automatic (Delayed Start).
- Click on OK.
- If the service is not started, you can start it after this change.
Firewall is Blocking the Connection
Firewall/network settings were applied or changed that are now preventing the communication being established between the client computer and license server. There are a few ways to check if this is the case. Note that by default, the license server communicates through TCP port 5160.
- Temporarily disable Windows firewall to see if this is causing the issue. Under Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Defender Firewall you can find 3 Windows Defender Firewall State settings for Domain, Private and Public. Set all 3 of them to Off.
- In instances where you have your own firewall system in place that isn't controlled by Windows(e.g., third party anti-virus software, hardware firewall, etc), please contact your IT Dept/System Administrator for further assistance.
- Use Telnet to see if a connection can be established between the client computer and license server via TCP port 5160.