Printing causes a Blue Screen (BSOD) error "APC_INDEX_MISMATCH for win32kfull.sys" following a Windows 10 update Follow
When printing from BarTender (or any other application), Windows crashes and presents a blue screen of death (BSOD), citing the following error: "APC_INDEX_MISMATCH for win32kfull.sys". You may also see this error when opening files as BarTender does check the list of printers during this time.
- Any BarTender version and revision
- Windows 10 or server equivalent running with the March 2021 security update (KB5000802) applied
- Seagull or manufacturer's printer drivers
The March 2021 Windows security update has been found to cause issues with various printer drivers when attempting to use them to print. This update was pushed to systems automatically as part of a security update package on late March 9th. Reinstalling the drivers will not correct the issue.
If you are experiencing these symptoms, there are two means to fix this issue.
Option 1: Microsoft has released a hotfix (KB5001567) on March 15 to address the issue. It is recommended to install a later hotfix (KB5001649) which addresses this issue and additional graphical printing issues also in the March 2021 Windows security update. This requires a manual update to retrieve the patch. Please do the following:
- Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.
- In the Optional updates available area, locate KB5001649 on the list and click the link to install the update.
Alternatively, you can download the patch from the Windows Update catalog and install it manually from there.
Option 2: Microsoft also suggests the alternate of uninstalling the update:
- Open Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.
- Click on ‘View Update History’
- Click on ‘Uninstall updates’ link.
- Locate the update (KB5000802) and click on ‘Uninstall’.
You can also follow this video to remove the update through the Control Panel: How to find and remove Windows Updates (Video - 0:40)
Once you have removed the update, pause updates for 7 days to ensure the patch does not get installed again before there is a fix.
On March 15th, Microsoft released a special hotfix for this issue. You can read about it here: KB5001567.
A later hotfix (KB5001649) has been released on March 18 which addresses this issue and additional graphical printing issues also encountered in the March 2021 Windows security update.
Other patches were released with the same fix and may be affected. If you cannot find the patch mentioned above, you may have an older version of Windows so the KB number is different. Here is the full list of updates:
- KB5000802 for Windows 10 version 2004 and 20H2
- KB5000808 for Windows 10 version 1909
- KB5000822 for Windows 10 version 1809
- KB5000848 and KB5000853 for Windows 8.1
- KB5000841 and KB5000851 for Windows 7 SP1
For more information and full list of Windows known issues, you can go to Microsoft's Windows release information page here.