BarTender Cloud now includes the BarTender Cloud Designer, a new integrated cloud-based version of BarTender Designer. The video and guide below will show you how to access and use this great new label design tool.
Click Play to get familiar with the basics of the BarTender Cloud Designer. Keep exploring the article below for more details and information on the functions and features available in this software preview.
Creating a Document Using the BarTender Cloud Designer
Starting from the Manage Files page, follow these steps to create a new document using the BarTender Cloud Designer:
- Click the New button at the top of the screen and select Document Design.
- Enter a name for your document and click Design. BarTender Cloud Designer will open and display a new blank label.
- Once you're finished designing your label, click Print to print your document. You can also click Save to save the updated revision to BarTender Cloud. BarTender Cloud Designer will also auto-save your document periodically.
To open the BarTender help system for assistance, press F1 or click Help in any dialog or property page on which a Help button appears.
Editing a Document
Follow these steps to edit a document using the BarTender Cloud Designer:
- Starting on the Manage Files screen, select the document that you'd like to edit and click Design on the toolbar at the top of the screen.
- Alternatively, right-click on the document you want to edit and select Design from the menu.
BarTender Cloud Designer will open now and you'll be able to make your desired changes.
Features Unique to the BarTender Cloud Designer
Several features are unique to BarTender Cloud Designer or differ in function from features present in on-premise BarTender Designer. These features may change or be removed at any point during the preview:
- The pull-down menus present at the top of the screen have been removed (File, View, Administer, Tools, Help).
- While the normal Help pull-down menu is gone, you can still access the online Help tool by pressing F1 or clicking the Help button in any dialog or property page on which a Help button appears.
- Your document will be auto-saved every few seconds.
- You can connect to a database using the database icon at the top of the screen, but the only options available are the connectors already available in BarTender Cloud.
- BarTender Document Options can be accessed from a new icon on the toolbar, instead of through File > BarTender Document Options.
- BarTender Cloud Designer will timeout and log you out of your Designer session after 15 minutes of idleness.
Copying and Pasting Within the BarTender Cloud Designer
When using the BarTender Cloud Designer you will occasionally need to use the clipboard to copy and paste, most commonly when creating an Embedded Text Database. When you attempt this for the first time, a pop-up will appear that will request permission for BarTender Cloud to see text and images copied to the clipboard within your browser.
Click Allow to grant BarTender Cloud the appropriate permission. Once you've done this, you will not need to do so again and you can copy and paste normally.
Limitations of the BarTender Cloud Designer
The following features are unavailable or unsupported during the BarTender Cloud Designer preview. This list may change at any time without warning:
- The enumeration or selection of printers within the BarTender Cloud Designer. Clicking Print will take you to the normal Print Console within BarTender Cloud.
- The enumeration of Librarian spaces and files using File Browser
- The design and printing of:
- External pictures/images (e.g. data sources, background images, exporting)
- External database files (e.g. csv, txt, xlst)
- REST API Gateway printing for actions and BTXML for printing
- Form and Document-level actions
- The ability to view Object, Data Source, Database Field Names, and Barcode Quiet zone names on the label
- Librarian or local file-based content, databases, and images for design or printing
- Print-time database record selection
- "External File" data sources
- Global Data Fields
- Phrase Libraries
- Printer Code Templates
- The ability to export images to Librarian or a file
- The ability to create Components
- The personalization of the BarTender Cloud Designer UI (e.g. toolbar placement, default toolbars).
- Local file support
- Legacy (Classic) Librarian
- Client-side database gateway access to data
The BarTender Cloud Designer is currently unavailable on mobile devices. A button will appear, but on selection, an error message will display.
For additional guidance on using BarTender Designer, please refer to the following resources.