Can a scanner be used to insert data into a Data Entry form field at print time in BarTender Cloud?
BarTender Designer 2019 and later
Yes, it is possible to use a scanner to insert data into a label object in BarTender Cloud, provided you can access either the BarTender Cloud Designer or the on-premise BarTender Designer (versions 2019 and later).
Once you've configured and saved your template, your Data Entry Form will pop up whenever you print in BarTender Cloud.
Creating Your Data Entry Form Field
- Starting from your label in either BarTender Designer or BarTender Cloud Designer, create a Data Entry Form by clicking on Form 1 at the bottom of the screen.
- Create at least one field (such as a Text Input Box).
- Right-click on your Data Entry Form field and select Properties.
- To link your field to the object on your label where you want your scanned data to appear, click on Linked Data Source and select the desired data source from the menu on the right.
- While still in the Data Entry Form field's Properties menu, click on Data Entry Form in the left-hand toolbar and check the Data is inserted by barcode scanner checkbox.
- Click Close to save your selections.
For more information, check out our help topic on Data Entry Forms.
Truncating Scanned Barcode Data
When you scan a barcode into a Data Entry field, you are occasionally left with unwanted characters padding either side of the data you want to appear on your printed label. In this case, you can apply a Truncation transform on your label object to remove these numbers when your data is scanned.
- Right-click on your label object and select Properties. Select your Data Source from the bottom of the left-hand toolbar.
- Click on the Transforms tab and check either (or both of) the Discard characters on right and/or Discard characters on left checkbox(s).
- Use the arrows to the right of each checkbox to change the number of characters you want to discard.
- Click OK to save your selections.