Serialization in BarTender (Video - 5:12) Follow
Applies to: BarTender 2021, 2019, 2016 & Versions 10.1, 10.0
BarTender has the ability to transform, manipulate, or change any given string of data. Most of these options are found on the Transforms tab of an object's Properties dialog.
The Serialization option is included on the Transforms tab. Serialization refers to the act of assigning a unique identification code to each item in a series. Although each identifier is typically called a "serial number," it can include letters, numbers, or symbols.
Instructions for Standard Serialization
Any new serialization defaults to "Standard" serialization, which increases (increments) or decreases (decrements) the data source value by 1 each time a label or other document is printed.
Refer to Assigning Sequential Numbers for information about other serialization options.
Setting An Object To Serialize
Serialization can be applied to data sources. To accomplish this, you must create an object on your document, assign the data source that will be serialized to the object, set the starting value, and enable serialization.
- Create a text or barcode object on your document template.
- From the object's context menu, select Properties to open the object's Properties dialog.
- In the left Navigation Pane, select the object's data source.
- Set the starting value for the data source (ie. "001").
- Click the Transforms tab.
- Click the icon at the right of Serialization to open the Serialization dialog.
- Select Increment or Decrement.
- Select the serialization Method.
- Check (select) Preserve the number of characters to specify that the length of the data source will remain the same when the value of the data source is reset. For example, if the Reset Limit is set to 100, once that limit has been reached, the serialization will reset to 001.
- Under When to Increment (or Decrement, depending on which you selected), select the Event that will cause the number to change.
- In the Event Interval field, set a step value.
- Set the Print Quantity options.
- Click the Reset tab to specify reset options. (See the Reset Tab section below.)
- You can test your serialization sequence on the Serialization tab by clicking Preview Sequence.
- When you have finished creating your serialization, click OK to close the Serialization dialog.
- Close the Properties dialog.
You have now set serialization for your object.
Serial numbers can automatically reset to a specified value when an event occurs or a condition is met. The Reset tab on the Serialization dialog defines how often BarTender will reset the value of the data source when it is set to serialize.
Setting How Many Serial Numbers Will Print
You can set the print quantity in the Serialization dialog, and you can set further print quantity options. If you select Specify Quantity in Print Dialog or if you leave this option blank, by default the serial number will increment or decrement whenever an item is printed. You can change how many items you want to print in the Print dialog.
- From the BarTender File menu, select Print to open the Print dialog.
- In the Serial Numbers field, set the number of copies you want to print.
- Click Print.