Templates in BarTender (Video - 7:30)
A template is simply a design area in BarTender where you design the items you want to print. Each template can have any number of barcodes, pictures, or text objects to give you a true WYSIWYG experience with BarTender. This video will show you the basics of working with templates in BarTender.
Using multiple templates in a document
By default, each new document contains one template. However, you have the option to create multiple templates in a single BarTender document. This gives you the ability to create, for example, separate front and back designs for your document, or a leading document to be printed at the start of each print job.
- Open the BarTender document.
- Select the icon on the main toolbar to open the Page Setup dialog. Alternatively, from the BarTender File menu , select Page Setup, or double-click on any blank area of the template.
- Select the Templates tab.
- Click the New Templates icon to create a new template, or right-click an Item Template folder and select New Template from the context menu.
Item Template folders
You can drag templates to any Item Template folder. Placing a template in an Item Template folder determines when the template will print.
Available Item Template folders include:
- Start of Job Template(s): Prints the template once, at the beginning of the print job.
- Start of Group Template(s): Prints the template each time the specified data source changes (as specified in the Group Field control). For templates in this folder, copy count and serialization count are ignored.
- Primary Template(s): Templates that you place in this folder may print once or multiple times, based on the copies and/or serialization settings.
- End of Group Template(s): Prints the template each time the specified data source changes (as specified in the Group Field control). For templates in this folder, copy count and serialization count are ignored.
- End of Job Template(s): Prints the template once, at the end of the print job.
Note: Group templates are only available in Automation Edition and above.
Using Template Selectors
Template Selectors are used to conditionally print a specific template when multiple templates are in use.
When using template selectors, you will need to create one template selector for each conditional statement; subsequently, you will add new templates to be included inside of the template selector. When you execute a print job, exactly one of the templates in the template selector will print based on the specified data.
- Select the icon on BarTender's main toolbar to open the Page Setup dialog. Alternatively, from the BarTender File menu, select Page Setup, or double-click on any blank area of the template.
- Click on the Templates tab.
- Select the Item Template folder where you wish to insert the new template selector. For special templates that print only at the beginning or end of a print job, select Start of Job Template(s) or End of Job Template(s). All other template selectors should be added to the Primary Template(s) folder.
- Click theicon on the template toolbar. Alternatively, select New Template Selector from the folder's context menu. A Template Selector pane appears below the Item Templates pane.
- In the Template Selector Properties section, specify the database field or data source value containing the name of the template to print in the Source for Template Name field.
- Add templates to the newly created template selector by dragging an existing template into it or creating a new one.
- Click OK to close the Page Setup dialog.
Note: Any template that will be selected by the template selector has to be placed under the Template Selector folder. Below you can see Template 1 is under Template Selector 1.
- Once you have created the template selector and placed a template below it, you can set the Print When, Source for Template Name, and When Template Name Not Found settings.
- Click OK to apply your settings.
For more information, refer to the Using Template Selectors topic in the BarTender help system.