A guide on the options and limitations for running BarTender on a cluster with failover/load balancing.
BarTender 2016 and later.
BarTender and the Seagull License Server can be installed and run on a VMware (or Hyper-V) virtual machine cluster with failover, albeit with the following caveats:
- Multiple Seagull License Servers can run within the same network at the same time if:
- They are both hosted on their own machine.
- They have their own Product Key Code (meaning you may need to purchase an additional PKC).
- They reference different port numbers.
- Your BarTender License Server monitors system hardware. Should a failover or load balancing event occur, the License Server may deactivate itself upon detection of a change of hardware. This can be corrected by deactivating and reactivating the license.
- We only support clusters when using the Enterprise edition of BarTender and if they are running on Microsoft Cluster Server.
As you look into implementing any of these options, ensure that your setup does not violate our End User License Agreement. For more information, please refer to the following documentation:
For more information on high availability: