BarTender Fails to Connect to Progress Database
BarTender fails to connect to a Progress Database in the Database Connection Setup dialog (using an ODBC driver). This could display as the following error messages:
Error 08S01 [DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver]Socket closed.
ERROR [HY000][DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver]Insufficient information to connect to the data source.
BarTender 2016 and later.
Please consult an IT professional before making changes to your computer's Registry.
The root cause for this problem is that the Progress OpenEdge ODBC driver configuration dialog is not providing an option to save the password needed for the connection. That is probably the reason the connection is failing.
Resolve the problem by following these steps:
- Close BarTender.
- Open Registry Editor (regedit.exe from a command prompt).
- Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI
- Click on the DSN name that you have created.
- Add a new string value named Password and set the value as the actual password for the connection. If this doesn't work, use PWD as the string value name instead.
- Close Registry Editor.
- Re-open BarTender and try the connection.