The BarTender Licensing Service has a defined and configurable value for the maximum number of concurrent requests that it can handle at a time. By default, the BarTender Licensing Service is set to handle a maximum of 400 concurrent requests.
BarTender 2019 R8 through R10 only.
- This article does not apply to BarTender 2021 and later because these later versions of BarTender have been improved to support a higher number of concurrent requests and connections made by the BarTender Licensing Service.
When should this value be changed?
In BarTender 2019 R8, there have been several improvements and enhancements made to reduce the number of BarTender connections and requests to the BarTender Licensing Service. In addition, the default value should be sufficient for the majority of people.
However, in certain rare situations where there are a large number of running BarTender instances concurrently making requests to the BarTender License Service, you may need to increase this value.
Increasing the Maximum Number of Concurrent Requests
To increase the BarTender Licensing Service maximum number of concurrent requests, you will need to do the following.
- Open the folder where BarTender is installed (eg. C:\Program Files\Seagull\BarTender 2019) and find the Licensing.Service.exe.Instance.config file. We recommend that you make a copy and backup of this file in another location in case you need to revert back any changes in this file.
- Open the Licensing.Service.exe.Instance.config file in a text editor (Notepad++, for example).
- Find the following line (line 9):
<!--<serviceConfig MaxPendingChannels="400" />-->
- Uncomment this line (remove the <!-- and --> at the beginning and end) and increase the MaxPendingChannels value. The line should look something like this with the desired value. This value can be set between 1 and 16384. The default value is 400.
<serviceConfig MaxPendingChannels="400" />
- Save the Licensing.Service.exe.Instance.config file.
- Open Administration Console.
- On the left-hand toolbar, click on Windows Services.
- Click the Elevate Permissions button at the top and click Yes to grant user account control. permissions to make changes to the BarTender services
- Restart the BarTender Licensing Service.
- We recommend that BarTender 2019 R8-R10 be installed on all systems (both BarTender clients and the License Server system hosting the license).
If the BarTender Licensing Service maximum number of concurrent requests needs to be changed, it will only need to be done on the system running the BarTender Licensing Service accepting these requests. This is most likely the License Server system hosting the license.
- If you do reinstall or upgrade BarTender in the future and need to increase the BarTender Licensing Service maximum number of concurrent requests, you will need to reapply the changes to the Licensing.Service.exe.Instance.config file.