This article will explain how to add and manage BarTender documents in BarTender Cloud. In addition to creating documents in BarTender Cloud, we'll discuss how you can design more complex BarTender documents using BarTender designer and how to upload them for use.
Adding BarTender Documents and Folders
1. For documents already created in an installed version of BarTender, start on the Manage Files page in BarTender Cloud. Click on the +New button and select File Upload.
2. Navigate to the .BTW document you wish to upload and click Open. You will see a progress box in the bottom-right corner of the screen. A green check mark will appear when the document has finished uploading and the document will appear among your files.
3. To add a folder, Click on the +New button and select Folder Upload. If the upload is successful, your new folder and any .BTW files it contains will appear in your list of files and folders.
4. You can also create new BarTender documents using the Template Assistant. For full instructions, see our Creating a BarTender Document Using the Template Assistant in BarTender Cloud guide.
5. For help designing labels in an installed version of BarTender Designer, see our Getting Started with BarTender user guide for helpful guides, videos, and design tips.
6. If you would your labels designed for you or guided help with setting up your BarTender environment, our Professional Services team can offer assistance as an additional paid service. Contact them here for a consultation.
Managing Files and Folders
1. To view a document's description and preview the image, select a document and click the button in the top right-hand corner of the Manage Files screen. A window with additional information and a preview of the label will appear on the right side of the screen.
2. Any label designed using the Template Assistant will have a Description of the template used to create the document. If the document was designed in BarTender Designer and uploaded, the Description section will be empty.
3. You can, however, set the Description text using BarTender Designer. Select File > BarTender Document Options > Information and fill in the Description field. Save the document and re-upload your document to BarTender Cloud.
4. There are several actions you can take while you have a document selected. These actions are located at the top of the screen.
- Print will send the selected document to the Print Console page to begin the printing process.
- Download will download a copy of the selected document as a .BTW file to your local system. The default location in Windows 10 is the standard Downloads folder.
- Edit will allow you to make changes to your document by taking you back through the Template Assistant.
- Delete will remove your document from the document list in Manage Files and move it to the Trash. You can view Trash section by selecting it from the menu on the left-hand side. Files in the Trash may be permanently deleted or restored.
- Rename will allow you to rename your BarTender document.
- Copy to will copy your document and save the copy to another folder of your choice within BarTender Cloud.
- Move to will completely move your document to another location within BarTender Cloud.
- Copy link will copy a "print" link to your Clipboard. When followed, this link will take you directly to the Print Console with the selected document ready to print.
BarTender Cloud has some document and database limitations. BarTender Cloud will support documents with data entry forms, embedded data, and connections to cloud databases. Documents that have linked pictures, external file sources, or databases that are not cloud or online based will not be supported. If you upload a document using one of the unsupported features, it will not work and will fail to upload. You will receive an error similar to the one shown below.
Supported Database Connections
The following are the support databases for BarTender Cloud:
- Embedded Text, JSON, and XML
- Excel Online
- Google Sheets (Online)
- Azure SQL
- SAP HANA Cloud
- Quickbooks Online
Unsupported Template Document Features
The following are document features that are not supported for BarTender Cloud:
- Document Level Scripts
- External File Data Sources
- Global Data Field Data Sources
- Picture Data Sources
- Print Code Modifier Scripts
- VBScript and Document/Form Actions that do the following:
- Access local files
- Execute command lines or external programs
- Create and use external automation objects
Any other script element that presents a security risk when it runs on a shared server
- Template Previews on Forms