Installing and Configuring the BarTender Print Gateway
This article is an introduction to the BarTender Print Gateway tool for BarTender Cloud.
It covers the following topics:
- Introduction to the function of BarTender Print Gateway.
- How to install the Print Gateway.
- How to configure the Print Gateway.
Windows 10 and 11
What Is the BarTender Print Gateway?
When the BarTender Print Gateway service is installed on a machine, it is able to detect locally installed printers on that system and make them available for intelligent printing with BarTender Cloud.
The BarTender Print Gateway was specifically designed for use with BarTender Cloud, however, it is also meant to replace the Client Print service used currently in conjunction with BarTender Print Portal. This means that Print Portal will work in conjunction with Print Gateway going forward and Client Print service will be deprecated.
Installing the BarTender Print Gateway
If the BarTender Print Gateway is not yet installed on your local machine, you can install it by clicking on the Install button in the notification banner above the print controls from within the print interface in BarTender Cloud. Without the Print Gateway only the PDF printer is available.
In order to install the BarTender Print Gateway you will need to:
- Click on the Hamburger menu icon in the top left of the screen:
- Click on Print Console at the top of the list on the left hand side.
- Click on any label in the Browser panel.
- Click on the Install button in the banner notification to download the installer.
- Once the installer is downloaded, execute it and select an install location.
Once the BarTender Print Gateway is installed, it will automatically open a Configuration page in your web browser.
With BarTender Print Gateway installed, you are able to access all of your locally installed printers from within BarTender Cloud.
Configuring the BarTender Print Gateway
Adding/editing print servers
The Configuration page allows you to add or edit print servers for which the local printers should be made available by the BarTender Print Gateway.
The Configuration page is opened in your browser with the URL:
The print servers are listed to the left of the screen. In the screenshot above only BarTender Cloud is setup.
Editing the existing print server can be achieved by:
- Clicking on the Edit button next to the Print Server name:
- Modifying the name or the URL.
- Clicking on Save.
Next to the Edit button there is also a Delete button for removing the print server.
Adding a new print server can be achieved by:
- Clicking on the Add new print server button below the print servers:
- Entering a name for the print server.
- Entering a URL for the print server address.
- Clicking on Add.
Once added, the connection status of the print server can be verified above the printer grid:
Managing local printers
To the right of the print servers is a grid with all of the locally available printers. Each printer is represented by a square containing: name and status information for the printer as well as options for setting which computers can use this specific printer:
- This computer: lets you enable printing through BarTender Cloud from the computer to which the printer is connected.
- Other computers: lets you specify that this printer is reachable from all computers connecting to your BarTender Cloud tenant space as long as they have the Print Gateway installed.
Above the grid are some additional settings: The first option defines how newly installed printers are handled. The second setting is related to the This computer settings for individual printers. When it is selected all printers will have This computer selected. When any one of the printers has This computer unchecked then Allow this computer to print to all printers is automatically unchecked as well.