Silent Deploy Bartender 2016 R3 Register.exe error via SCCM (Under Local System Account)
When carrying out a silent deployment of Bartender 2016 R3 via SCCM / or directly via command prompt under Local System Account I am experiencing the following error during the installation process. A Windows message box come up (tested on a Win7x64 & Win10x64 machine)
Register.exe - Application Error
"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the applicaiton."
The command line used to do the installation is similar to below:
BT2016_R3_3094_Full.exe /s /v"/QB REBOOT=R ProductLanguage=1033 ADDLOCAL=BarTender EDITION=A PKC=xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx SLS_PRIMARY=servername:5160"
The Register.exe error message is only visible when installing under the local system account with interactive mode enabled. E.g. to reproduce the issue
- Open command prompt under Local System Account with interactive mode via: psexec.exe -s -i cmd.exe
- Run the BT2016_R3_3094_Full.exe /s ... silent install command
The installation test using psexec -s -i cmd.exe is meant to simulate deployment via SCCM with allow user interaction enabled...
The same installation command works fine when executed under a local admin account.
The Register.exe message does not come up under local system account if interactive mode is not enabled (psexec.exe -s cmd.exe) i.e. the GUI window appear to be suppressed.
Following is also observed when tested under the local system account:
- $BarTender_Security$ user is in the local administrator group.
- Windows local group policy "Allow log on locally" is NOT enabled for the $BarTender_Security$ account
Just wondering is this a known issue with Bartender 2016 R3?
This is a known issue with BarTender 2016 and current releases (including our current R5 release as of this writing) using silent installation and SCCM to deploy BarTender.
The main issue here is due to permissions with SCCM running under the local system account and the installation process of the special BarTender user accounts. Generally, in this scenario, BarTender and files do get installed properly, but the error message "Register.exe - Application Error
"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the applicaiton." also pops up during install like you mentioned. In addition, the special BarTender accounts ($BarTender_Security$ and $Printer_Maestro$) get put into the wrong Windows user groups. They get put into the local administrators groups instead of the normal user groups so you may also get a "BarTender is not installed, or the installation has become corrupted" error message if you try to open BarTender.
Most people have worked around this issue by doing the following:
- Using the /qn parameter instead of the /qb parameter in their BarTender silent install command since it drops the amount of interactive dialogs from being displayed.
- Not using the -i flag for PSEXEC so it will not run interactively. This is advantageous for remote install via PSEXEC because windows error reporting is disable from popping up dialogs. So when the register.exe fails to load library with the 0xC0000142 error, it will just end that process rather than attempt to wait for a user to click "ok" to the error message. Otherwise, the user would have to click "ok" to the error message to continue.
- Lastly, the two special user accounts for BarTender need to be moved out of the local administrators group. The following Windows command lines would move them out of the local administrators group: net localgroup administrators $BarTender_Security$ /delete and net localgroup administrators $Printer_Maestro$ /delete
This issue has already been reported to our development team, and they are looking into the issue. I apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.1
Hello Jasper, thanks for your reply.0
I'm encountering the same issue as Tom with Automation R6. I use the /qn parameter and it prompts repeatedly during install through SCCM with the same error Tom described.
Tom, did you manage to get this to install through SCCM silently?0
i got the same error with R3 and had a never ending discussion with BT support one year ago.
Do we have any workaround for the above issue with installing application from SCCM?
Register.exe - Application Error
"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the applicaiton."0
Has there been any progress on this? We just upgraded to 2016 and want to deploy the upgrade via SCCM.0
I´ll provide further information in 2 weeks. We´re trying it with B2016 R7 again.
I recommend Seagull to solve this issue. I cannot believe that this issue has been overlooked in the past years.0
I am installing Bartender 2016 R7 (11.0.3146) via SCCM and receive a similar error pop up.
- Install: BT2016_R7_3146_full_x64.exe /s /v"/l*v "%windir%\temp\btinst.log" /qn EDITION=EA DESKTOP_ICON=NO"
- Install Behavior: Install for System
- Logon req: Whether or not user is logged in
- Install Visibility: Hidden
- Register.exe - Application Error
- The exception unknown software exception (0xc06d007e) occurred in the application at location 0x00007FFC96944008.
The error pops up several times. Clicking OK continues install and the program appears to work just fine (no errors on start up). In the msi log the error seems to occur on the following steps:
- Executing Command: C:\Program Files\Seagull\BarTender Suite\Register.exe + securityuser securityfolder
- Executing Command: C:\Program Files\Seagull\BarTender Suite\Register.exe + securityuser securityfolder performancecounter firewall "C:\Program Files\Seagull\BarTender Suite\adminconsole.exe" "BarTender System Administration Console"
- Executing Command: C:\Program Files\Seagull\BarTender Suite\Register.exe + securityuser securityfolder MaestroUser
I've linked the full error log here. I'm primarily testing on Win10 v1709. I do see $BarTender_Security$ and $Printer_Maestro$ user accounts added to the Local Administrators group as well.0
Having the same issue with BarTender 2016 R8 (11.0.3153). The /QN does not suppress the REGISTER.EXE error popups.
It was still been looked into was the last information I received a week or so ago and so I guess as R8 hasn't fixed it then that is still the case (I thought R7 was going to to be the last release for 2016, so I assume 2018/19 or whatever it will be called may have been pushed back a bit)0
We switched to just using a package instead of App Model in SCCM. It works without the register.exe error but is not as nice as getting to use app model. Here's my command line if you'd like.
BT2016_R7_3146_full_x64.exe /s /v"/l*v "%windir%\temp\btinst.log" /qn PKC=XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX SLS_PRIMARY=seagullserver:5160 SLS_SECONDARY=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5160 ADDLOCAL=PrintStation DESKTOP_ICON=NO"
if %msierror%==1603 goto :NewerVersion
@echo Same or later version already installed
we were able to detect and resolve this Problem with the Register.exe in our company's installation.We have Office 32 bit but tried to install the 64bit Bartender version.(Windows OS Version is of course 64bit).
Bartender seemingly attempts to register 64bit Access Components which of course it cannot while a 32bit office is installed. Try installing the 32bit version of Bartender. That should do the trick. :-)
Please sign in to leave a comment.