Upgrade From 9.3 To 10.1 Produces "encoding Error" On All Barcodes Of Existing Labels.
We just purchased Bartender 10.1 SR4 Automation Edition. We have roughly 40 users still on 9.3 Enterprise Edition. We were assured that getting the 10.1 version would be seamless. However, I installed it on my client, and every label that has barcodes, shows a square with a red circle and white 'X' through it on each barcode. Hovering over this red& white 'X' shows a message stating: "Encoding Error: Input data is empty".
Of course it's empty...they haven't prompted for anything yet. If I delete the barcode and re-create it, all is fine, but, we have over 30 labels and each can contain upwards of 8-10 barcodes. I don't want to fix them all. This should just work. Is there a patch I am not finding? Or a real quick easy solution to avoid redesigning all these damn labels before deploying it to all the clients?
Have you just tried to print it even with the error? Can you get to a prompt screen and test it?0
To answer nRyder's question...Yes, I was still able to print it. But, users seeing those display errors would have a hard time with it, and if and when something goes wrong, that will be the "cause" in their mind. Regardless, it's not proper.
I realize I asked this question 5 months ago, and nRyder answered it then, but, I never received a notification that it was answered, and quite frankly I never checked back. We use Bartender for internal labeling, and it is a tertiary responsibility of mine at best. (More like quaternary or quinary). Since licensing was our major concern, not version, I tabled it and reverted back to 9.3. Now, I have a lull in my Oracle programming duties and am revisiting this.
That said, I am also looking at how the other features work, like web printing, etc. Perhaps there's a much better/easier way than installing/upgrading Bartender client on every user's PC.0
All the software is telling you is that there's not data in the barcode, so it wouldn't print anything until something is put in (like in a prompt).
If you don't want the alert, you can double-click into the barcode and give it a default value. But otherwise the "error" is not causing any problems. The alert is accurate in the sense that the barcode doesn't have data until you enter some.0
OK, that makes sense. I thought when I deleted one of those barcodes and recreated it, that the message and red X went away. I must have left some default data in there. Now when I recreate completely (with no data) I DO get the "Encoding Error". My mistake. Thanks for your replies.0
Please sign in to leave a comment.