Windows Spooler Failures Follow

0
Avatar
Legacy Poster

We are currently using Bartender version 9.4 SR3 /Build 2781 on a Windows 2008R2 Server to print around 12-15 K barcode tags daily. We have been having multiple problems with the tags starting/stopping/reprinting since the update to SR3, so we've been running the system in application mode for some time. Application mode seems to better manage the heap resources and keep the system from reprinting tags in the middle of a run.

This being said, we have now found that the system spooler will crash/fail upwards of 5 times a day. This stops the printing to the plants who are waiting for the tags, and is presenting a support nightmare for me....hence my post to the gentle board.

The errors we are seeing in BT indicate that the printer is "no longer available" because the spooler has crashed. When I look into the Windows system log....I can see errors indicating the spooler has stopped, and various errors which point to specific printers stating " port number: XXXX Printer number: XXXX - attempt to access invalid address Caught in statusMon: threadproc"

there is no rhyme or reason to this...as it happens across the board and to multiple printers.

If anyone has any ideas as to where to look while I wait for seagull...I'd appreciate it.

thanks

Russ Kahler
SAP Basis Admin
Owens Illinois

2 comments

0
Avatar
Legacy Poster
Comment actions Permalink

Hi,

Are you using a USB connection? This has started to happen on a few Zebra printers here too - but when I change them over to a USB to LPT connection, the problem seems to go away. That, of course, is not an acceptable solution, as USB to USB should be the fastest and one of the most reliable connections. However, the risk that our print jobs can simply stop and restart is unacceptable, as duplicate labels in our orders can cause a range of catastrophic problems.
0
Avatar
Legacy Poster
Comment actions Permalink

[quote name='nRyder' timestamp='1334152369' post='2181']
Hi,

Are you using a USB connection? This has started to happen on a few Zebra printers here too - but when I change them over to a USB to LPT connection, the problem seems to go away. That, of course, is not an acceptable solution, as USB to USB should be the fastest and one of the most reliable connections. However, the risk that our print jobs can simply stop and restart is unacceptable, as duplicate labels in our orders can cause a range of catastrophic problems.
[/quote]


Thanks for the idea...I wish it was something like that! The printers are IP based printers at multiple locations across the country...so it's not a connection or a particular network that is causing the issue. We're using the windows spooler on the server to print the tags via IP using the Seagull Windows Printer Drivers (currently version 7.22)

Please sign in to leave a comment.