Database field empty Seguir

0
Avatar
Leen Van Brandt

Dear Community,

 

I have a problem. 

We work with a database (Excel) connected to a template.

We noticed that the field referring to our Product code (field name = "REF") showed empty, however it was linked to the column REF in our database and there were data.

We tried to change all the data to text or all to number, but that didn't help. We tried this because the field is not empty when the code contains only numbers. It is only empty when the code contains "-" or "\". However, didn't help.

When we tried to put the data from another column (Storage temp) into the column REF, it still did not show (although the Storage temp DID SHOW in its own field).

We tried to change the Column header REF to Productcode; the strange thing is that bartender does not pick up this change, even after refreshing the fields, refreshing the database.

Very strange is the following: we saved the database under another name (a copy), made another template, linked the new template to this copy, but although the column header was now "Productcode" in Excel, it was still called "REF" in the left pane with database fields of Bartender!

It seems as if we cannot get rid of the connection with the first database.

When we go to "Database setup > fields", the name of the field shows "REF" (while it is now "Productcode") and the type is "Floating point (Double)"

Does anyone recognize this problem?

Thank you

3 comentarios

0
Avatar
Pete Thane
Acciones de comentarios Permalink

I have seen similar issues where the ODBC driver that links the spreadsheet to BarTender "looks" at the data and decides it is of a certain type and changing the format type of the data in Excel didn't effect this. This usually happens when the data in the first few rows of a column are all numeric whilst later records contain non numeric characters. The ODBC thinks the column is all numbers and so any with alpha or other characters come through as blank.

The simplest solution is to add a new record into you spreadsheet in the top row, below the headers,and make the value of the REF field "DUMMY" or something similar so that the ODBC picks up the alpha characters

0
Avatar
Leen Van Brandt
Acciones de comentarios Permalink

Thank you Peter!

This seems to solve the problem!

1
Avatar
Pete Thane
Acciones de comentarios Permalink

No worries, took me a while to work that one out when I first came across it some years ago.

I am not sure if it is still an issue with BarTender 2019 as this does not use the same ODBC driver as the previous versions  

Iniciar sesión para dejar un comentario.