Helpful articles for updating to BarTender 2021 フォローする
The following support articles, webinars, and resources will help and guide you through the update process to BarTender 2021. They are divided into the various categories below.
General / Compatibility
This should be your first stop when you plan to update to BarTender 2021. This article contains the most typical frequent questions that you might have before updating.
Contains a summary of the major changes, instructions on how to install BarTender 2021, some activation based concepts and backwards compatibility information.
If you want to know what Windows version are supported by the latest BarTender version, or if your Seagull printers drivers need to be updated / will still be compatible, take a look at these articles.
Knowing the end of support date for BarTender 10.1 will help you schedule your update plan.
This document contains an overview of the new features we implemented in BarTender 2021.
Installation and Pre-requisites
General system requirements for BarTender 2021. If you're instead looking for high availability or failover best practices, first read this article and then contact support if you still have further questions.
If you have strict IT policies that prevent you from installing another SQL Server instance on your Windows system, this article is for you.
Complete article that explains how to activate BarTender 2021 and what you'll need for completing the process.
Some of the most common issues you can run into when activating BarTender 2021.
New BarTender feature that allows you to easily move your 2021 license around different License Servers.
This feature allows you to keep your older BarTender version running in production environment running you provisionally test BarTender 2021
If the server side of your BarTender installation doesn't have an active internet connection, you can perform an offline activation.
Administering your BarTender license has substantially changed in BarTender 2021 compared to previous versions of BarTender (2016 and older). The main differences are:
- Seagull License Server application and service no longer exists.
- Instead, you activate and manage your licenses via the Administration Console application.
- BarTender client and server sides communicate via a Windows service called BarTender Licensing Service which gets installed during the BarTender installation process.
How to manage your BarTender license via the Administration Console.
This new feature introduced in BarTender 2021 provides the ability to have redundant and backup License Servers.
What to do and how to prevent BarTender licensing issues due to exceeded printer licenses.
BarTender Label Design
This video based support article is useful if you want some guidance for creating your first document with label printers in BarTender.
Same as previous article, but this one is for laser or inkjet based printers.
Thanks to BarTender's improved text editing UI, using different fonts in the same text object is a very quick and intuitive process.
Powerful feature that allows wrapping of text around other objects.
Creating grids and tables with BarTender has never been so easy!
5 minute video that covers the main steps involved for connecting your BarTender document with a database.
Short video that covers the versatility of our text file connector, that can potentially connect to any type of text file structure, including those legacy formats used by ERP systems and alternative label design solutions.
This article covers all of the main aspects of selecting database records at design or print time, including how to add a record selector to your data entry form, how to create static and dynamic database filters, and how to combine them both.
This article covers the recently BarTender 2021 added database connectors; JSON, Excel online, Google Sheets and Quickbooks Online.
Document Management and Cloud based Printing
Our web based printing application was completely redesigned for BarTender 2021.
Manage Librarian label files directly from Print Portal.
Interact with Print Portal through a comprehensive set of REST APIs
Automation / Integration
The most substantial difference between BarTender older versions (2016 and previous) and 2021 when it comes to integrating BarTender with your third party application or system is the fact that Commander middleware has been replaced with a more powerful and flexible package called the Integration Platform. This platform consists of the following components:
- Integration Builder: It's an application that helps you to design and test your Integrations.
- Administration Console: This application includes a section for the Integrations that have been deployed. Build your deployment plans from here and define what servers are allowed to be your test and production servers.
- BarTender Integration Service: This Windows service performs all of the "Detection" based operations for an integration and those actions that don't require using BarTender print engines.
- BarTender Print Scheduler Service: This service will automatically start, stop and leverage the number of BarTender engines for your integrations. You no longer need to worry about manually defining these (such as you had done with Commander and the Command Handler configuration).
- Building a File integration using a CSV file
- Building a file integration using Print Command Script
- Creating an integration that uses an Excel document as a trigger file
- Print Document Using a Data File Integration
- Building a web service integration
- Building a database integration
These are several examples that show you various ways to integrate your ERP or database system with BarTender. The Integration Platform is backwards compatible with your Commander task list files, yet we recommend that you improve your integrations by creating new Integration Files unless you were already using BTXML-Script in your Commander integrations.
Typical integrations that the majority of our customers use are web services, file, and database integrations. Web service integrations allows you to send HTTP requests, file integrations scan a folder location, and database integrations scan a database to trigger various actions. These actions can be a simple print action or response and message to an external system. Integrations allow the flexibility to transform and send your data payload in various formats.
This article will help you to make a decision on this key component of BarTender.
If you've automated your older BarTender version instead via our .NET SDKs and would like to know what steps to follow in order to make your code work in BarTender 2021, check this article.
We hope that you find this information useful. If you have further questions, please post your update question or issue under this topic "Updating to BarTender 2021" or contact support.