BarTender 10.1 SR4 Print to PDF via BullZip - output doesn't match label printer 追蹤

0
Avatar
John Bourke

The label template was designed around a Zebra label printer and initially tested on it; currently the printer will be unavailable for about a week and we want to print PDF output as users train & test the software that creates the label output (not BarTender). We installed  a BullZip PDF Printer and defined a custom PS paper size, but the output double-prints the header and footer  & shrinks the whole result. 

In BarTender, when attempting to tie the label to the printer, BarTender says the printer doesn't support the paper size and wants to substitute the paper size in the template for something which it considers compatible.

Anyone else see this or anything similar? 

4 意見

0
Avatar
Pete Thane
評論操作 永久連結

Not played with 10.1 for a while (it is now out of support by the way) , but I would suggest you check all the page settings and make sure that the rows and columns are set correctly (1/1)  as this is often where you get an issue when going from a label printer to effectively an A4 printer. The margins can also create problem too. 

0
Avatar
John Bourke
評論操作 永久連結

Hi Pete - 

Thanks for responding. We know 10.1 is out of support now - we'd started using it quite a while after purchase, and support expired before we had the chance to use it much (tho we did get some fantastic support while it was active).

Page settings appear correct. Rows & columns are set to 1/1. Not getting any printout now when it goes through Commander, tho. It processes the .dd into a .dat, but the file never appears to hit the print queue.

Ignore: => Do you recall if there's a way to see what errors or issues Commander may be encountering? I didn't see anything along the lines of a log file (other than install).  <=

Found an answer from you from a prior community response - 

"Pete Thane
April 29, 2020 15:55
Comment actions


Have a look at the Administer > Log Setup options in BarTender Designer as they may provide what you are looking for."

I'll check there. :) Thank you, and stay healthy!

  - JB

0
Avatar
John Bourke
評論操作 永久連結

To Pete & All - setting the log file, then cross-referencing an earlier .btw that is working, I was able to determine the issue: mainly, the template was built on a source file that had "field names included" instead of ~not~ having field names included. 

Our templates have aliases set up so that it's easier to tell where fields are placed & what data they correspond to; in the template I was working with (originally created a while ago), the field name were included in the data file - now, field names aren't in our output, so we alias them in the template.

The error was due to Commander looking for field names that weren't there, hence "no data found."

Thanks for your insight. (And a decent forum that can be searched effectively.)

0
Avatar
Pete Thane
評論操作 永久連結

It could be asking you something like where to save the PDF and what name to use etc. to which you cannot reply as the "question" will be being asked under a different user account to the one displayed on the screen (local system normally).. 

You ay want to check the running processes and make sure there aren't a bunch of Bartend.exe actions running. There should be one as Commander always needs one linked to it  

登入寫評論。